Thursday, February 08, 2007

handsome's in auckland!

saw the handsome family in auckland yesterday (see a review of their work at the new zealand herald http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1501119/story.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10422029 )

I won't use the overused word surreal to describe the experience...

But when they started playing Arlene, it was like I was back in Wicker Park. I kept looking around the packed club thinking I'd see people I knew, but of course didn't. What I realized is how much a part o my life they were--they practically were the running soundtrack to all of our shenanigans (well, them and nirvana). ultimately, it put a smile on my face--those were good times.

anyway, they were the same handsome family--new songs--but the same two people--Rennie telling these seemingly pointless (i said seemingly) little stories between songs while Brett fiddled with the sound and occasionally talked over what she was saying. and of course, they bickered on stage when one of them started playing too soon or too late or when they couldn't decide which song to play next or when brett talked over what she was saying. she kept calling him Colonel and one time she said "he sure looks perty, but that one ain't too smart". i laughed a lot (others in the club didn't laugh so much). they ended the night with a song i hadn't heard before--one where he keeps talking about being close to death (a rope around his neck, gravel in his mouth etc)... and yet that's how he knew she was near (funny!). they still know how to bring a little ray of sunshine into a gloomy world.

2 comments:

Carl Vogel said...

I agree with what lionlichao said, and thought the link provided essential insight into the_internet_is_not_a_truck's posting. Sure, his very good gift seemed a bit, uh, tangential. I applaud lionlichao for his/her staunch willingness to make controversial, even nonsensical comments to a blog such as this.

Also: Arch in Aukland listening to the Handsomes playing Arlene in 2007 makes me very happy in some inexplicable way. I must be old.

the internet is not a truck said...

doug--yeah, i think so. their website is www.handsomefamily.com.

start with songs from their albums "odessa" "milk and scissors", "through the trees" and "in the air". best songs include Arlene, Drunk by Noon, Weightless Again, The Dutch Boy, and I Know You Are There (off of Twilight)